New Delhi, Aug 29, 2023: Ten years ago today, the first Indian rider hailed an Uber on the streets of Bengaluru, beginning a journey that would quickly see the app become the country’s most preferred platforms for riders and drivers alike. Since then, Uber has transformed the mobility landscape in India. A safe, reliable and affordable car, auto, moto or bus ride via the app is now available in 125 cities across India.
To celebrate this milestone, Uber has created a special video
Over the last 10 years in India …
● Over 50,000 Crores - that is the amount of money drivers have earned through the Uber platform since 2013
● 3,300 Crore Kilometers - that is how much Uber drivers have driven, it is equivalent to travelling from Earth to the Moon about 86000 times!
● 300 Crores - that is the total number of trips taken on Uber in India
● 30 Lakh - that is the number of drivers who have earned via the Uber app as a driver partner, that’s enough to fill the Narendra Modi stadium in Ahmedabad 30 times over!
● 4 Crore Kilometers - that is the number of green kilometers driven on Uber in India as we make good on our commitment to become a zero-emissions platform by 2040!
Reflecting on Uber’s ten year milestone, Prabhjeet Singh, President, Uber India and South Asia, said, “Uber has become a part of India’s social fabric and we are proud and privileged to have been able to make a difference by enabling access and movement to riders while enabling livelihood to millions of drivers over the last decade. With a vibrant demography and expanding digital economy, the future is exciting and we look forward to doing our bit to accelerate progress towards India’s envisioned techade.”
Starting with a few cities, Uber now operates in over 125 cities across India, making it possible for millions of people to book a ride within minutes and helping over 800,000 drivers earn a sustainable income. The company has introduced several India-first innovations, tailored to meet the specific demands of Indian riders and drivers. From the introduction of cash payments and regional language support to the implementation of several industry-first safety features, Uber has consistently strived to provide a seamless experience for its users.