Custom Search
 



 
 
Indian government moots blend of online and offline teaching, even after Covid

May 22, 2021: The University Grants Commission (UGC)  has released a  draft concept note on “The blended mode of teaching and learning”.
The commission on May 9, had decided that higher education institutes (HEIs) should be allowed to teach up to 40 per cent of the syllabus of each course through online mode and the remaining 60 per cent  through offline teaching even after the current restrictions due to Covid.  However, the examinations for both 40% online (other than MOOC  SWAYAM course) and 60% offline portions can be conducted offline.
The note  has chapters on the role of teachers in blended learning, ICT tools and initiatives, SWAYAM, MOOCs as resources, ICT tools for collaboration and user-generated content, project-based learning and project management. 
“The UGC constituted an expert committee to prepare a concept note on the blended mode of teaching. The draft concept note is available for comments/suggestions of stakeholders, if any, which may be sent to UGC on policyfeedbackugc@gmail.com on or before June 6, 2021,” Rajnish Jain, secretary, UGC, said in a statement.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The full document,“The blended mode of teaching and learning”,  in PDF is here.
Jargon guide:
MOOCs are Massive Open Online Courses,  free online courses available for anyone
to enroll. 
Blended learning is an approach to education that combines online educational
materials and opportunities for interaction online with traditional classroom methods.
SWAYAM is an acronym for  Study Webs of Active-Learning for Young Aspiring Minds –
the Indian government’s MOOC platform.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------