Mumbai, March 1, 2018: India’s largest premium streaming platform, Hotstar has released its first India Watch Report 2018, sharing insights on the dramatic transformation sweeping the Internet landscape in India. In a first of its kind report for any streaming platform in the world, the service has disclosed interesting usage patterns on its platform.
- Nearly 5 times growth in video consumption in the last 12 months, with 96 percent of all usage being focused on long form video.
- Growth in smaller cities, less than 10 lakh in population, outstripped that in the large metr.
- More and more users are treating the mobile as their first screen.
- Streaming video has hit critical momentum. The Champion’s Trophy Final 2017 on Hotstar hit 4.8 million simultaneous viewers, a record
- While cricket still rules the roost, other sports are sprouting well. VIVO IPL consumption grew nearly 7 times between 2016 and 2017. However, VIVO Pro Kabbadi and Premier League also grew nearly 10 times.
- Consumption habits cut across stereotypes and traditional boundaries. 26% of Game of Thrones viewers also watched Hindi TV shows; 24% of Modern Family viewers watched cricket; and 50% of watch time of Star Plus’s show Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai, came from men.
Says Ajit Mohan, CEO, Hotstar: “A new generation of users are emerging in India who take for granted round the clock access to the best stories; who know that they can watch the best shows from around the world at the same time as the world (and sometimes way ahead of most of the world); who do not worry about being forced to skip their team’s weekend football games because they are not at home in front of their television; and who have the implicit faith that all breaking news will reach them without any effort on their part.”
Launched in early 2015, Hotstar one of India’s most downloaded apps and has attracted more Link to a PDF of the full report here