New Delhi, Sep 18, 2020: Indian smartphone users consider audio quality as one of the most important factors in their next smartphone purchase, followed by battery life and camera finds a study by market researcher, CyberMediaResearch (CMR).
Four in every five users feel Dolby Atmos would lead to increased video consumption . And six in every seven users agree that Dolby Atmos would lead them to decide their music/video service subscription.
The extended lockdowns have seen heightened video content consumption by the populace. This, in turn, has given rise to the demand for richer smartphone audio quality that consumers do not want to compromise on.
CMR partnered auto tech leader Dolby, to conduct the survey titled “What Audio Means for Indian Smartphone users?. It reveals consumer insights on audio for smartphones and consumer preference for object based next generation immersive audio technology like Dolby Atmos.
The study conducted across six cities, including New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Bangalore and Ahmedabad revealed that
- 75% smartphone users are aware of Dolby Atmos technology in smartphones and how it enhances audio experiences.
- Dolby Atmos enabled content is a preference for quality audio experience. Consumers believe that movies and episodic content are best enjoyed with Dolby Atmos constituting 82% and 77% respectively
- Better audio experience leads to increased content consumption. For instance, (70%) of consumers believe that Dolby Atmos enhances the overall listening experience with (81%) users agreeing that it leads to increased content consumption
- Four in every five users use audio during gaming and believe Dolby Atmos can enhance the experience.
- 84% smartphone users (six in every seven) believe that Dolby Atmos would lead them to decide their music/video service subscription.
Says Prabhu Ram, Head-Industry Intelligence Group, CMR, “The findings from the survey gave us an understanding of how consumer sentiments around smartphone audio are evolving with the times. There is increased awareness among users about Dolby Atmos and how it enhances audio quality for content experiences. With an upsurge in content consumption whether it is music, episodic content, gaming, or even UGC, consumers are now seeking infinitely better listening experiences, whenever and wherever they go and that’s where industry-leading innovations, such as Dolby are fulfilling consumer aspirations.”
Full report here